Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mount of Transfiguration

The location of the Mount of Transfiguration is not positively known, but it is believed to be Mount Tabor, which is where this church is built.  There was a tiny chapel just inside that we took refuge in.  Here is everyone but me (I was closest to the door with my camera) crammed inside.   

Here is a beautiful grate in the floor just inside the front door.  There are stairs below it going down to something (I'm sure an ancient layer of civilization). 

People have written prayers and put them down the grate.  It is truly amazing to see such an outpouring of faith from so may different people who belong to so many different religions. 

The front of the church.  It has beautiful mosaics on the ceiling.

On top of the mountain, just outside the church.  Did I mention it rained (and rained and rained!)?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: