The Greek Orthodox church that is built on the site of Jacob’s Well is
actually the nicest and brightest (they have a tendency to be dark and
smoke/incense stained) Greek Orthodox church I remember. You are not allowed to
take pictures down in the lower level where the well actually is.
Jacob’s Well is actually in the West Bank. I am obviously not a
political/ethnic guru. I had NO IDEA that Christians lived in the West Bank
until we started reading and researching before our trip. Most Palestinians are
Muslim, but some are Christian. Different areas of the West Bank have more or
less Christians
Toward the back and down a flight of stairs is the actual well. No photos
allowed, but they will sell you a postcard down there :)
Very cool chandeliers in this church.
The dome as seen through the huge chandelier.
It was here Christ proclaimed Himself the “Living Water:”
John 4:12-14 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the
well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? Jesus
answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the
water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into
everlasting
life.
No comments:
Post a Comment