I debated whether I should tell the entire story that applies here, but maybe one day we will want to remember it, so here goes... We bought the red couch from our friends who were moving out of town. We had just finished our basement, and were therefore unwilling and unable to spend money on furniture to put in it. So, we were excited to inherit the red couch, which we knew to be comfortable for a very small sum. The kids loved it, especially the fact that I let them climb, jump, hurdle on/over it.
Recently the red couch had become less comfortable than it once was (note before mentioned climbing, etc.). So, Chris and I decided, for our anniversary, we would buy a new couch for downstairs. We went to R.C. Willey and found some great deals (who knew R.C. Willey carried things other than overstuffed paisley couches? Not me.) They happened to be having a "no sales tax weekend" since it was New Years, so we ended up buying couches for up and downstairs, which we were very happy about. So, we put the old couches, including THE RED COUCH! on KSL classifieds and sold them.
The only problem was we couldn't actually get THE RED COUCH! out of the basement. It was not for lack of trying or gouging out our walls in the process. We finally called the guy who was coming (or had decided not to come and forgot to call us!) and told him we couldn't get it out of the house in 1 piece and we were going to cut it up. Chris did, and took it out the window in pieces. It has been a rather frustrating afternoon and so we decided to load everyone in the car to take the pieces of COUCH to their final resting place in the dumpster at the store and get an ice cream. To make a long story just a little longer, I ended up driving us out of the parking lot after the couch was disposed of and everyone was eating ice cream and I hit a peninsula of ice that the snowplows had left poking out into the road. The truck got high centered on one side and then getting it out totally munched the underside of the truck, causing the passenger door to need to be slammed in order to stay shut. So, now the truck is at the body shop getting fixed and THE RED COUCH! is gone ARRRGH!
Part 2: The New Couch
Four days later, the truck finally arrived with our couches! Well most of our couches. They forgot 1/3 of our sectional. How nice. Notice in the picture the huge body pillow cushioning the large metal plates that hold the sectional together. Now if we can only make it till Tuesday without anyone impaling themselves on it, we might survive. I wish this were the end of the story...last night I was on R.C. Willey's website searching for an ottoman or some sort of table for upstairs and I found our couches on sale. So, tomorrow we will be calling them to put their "30 day price match" policy to the test.
The final installment of the longest couch story ever involves the patching of all the gouges made by THE RED COUCH! We never actually got around to the touch up painting after we finished our basement, so this seemed like a great time to do that as well. (Did I mention Chris has been out of town since the morning after we threw the COUCH away? So, really it's all just me here with these snowballing projects and two kids.) And then, if you are doing all the touch up painting in your whole house, why don't you just enlist your neighbor who just glazed a faux finish on her basement walls to come and help you do a similar finish on the downstairs living room walls? The answer is, because you should be sleeping when you are the only parent home to dole out patience with those kids. But, it's done. Except for the recovery of the extra $ we spent at R.C. Willey and the arrival of the final section of sectional. Stay tuned. I really hope the end of this story is simply that they bring the other part and give us our money back. This story has to end somewhere...
Faux walls looking into toy room without faux finish
Close up of our handi-work

4 comments:
Love this story and your new couches look sooo much nicer than the red couch! Though they should not be forgotten!! :))
Congrats on the new couches! Furniture is always such drama, it seems.
Not only did you do all those projects, you actually blogged about them too! I'm impressed.
Oh, the red couch. I know you wish we had thrown it away when we moved. John nearly cut the couch into pieces when we moved from our first house and he uttered many a curse words at that couch. I'm sad to see it's finally dead, but your new couches look fantastic. Great job on the walls! I really like them.
Post a Comment