Everyday Hadden eats a snack at school. They get some sort of cracker/”cookie”/sugar and a choice of milk: either regular or chocolate. We have talked about this at home and decided, together, that he can pick chocolate milk once a week and white milk the rest of the week. His starches have included fruit loops, graham crackers (these are cookies, people!) and Ritz crackers. Several times each week he tells me he gets up to the snack table and there is only chocolate milk! That’s right. No choice. I honestly have no idea who is choosing these options for the kids, but I am truthfully frustrated! NONE of these things are healthy! Chocolate milk is not healthy! (I know I’ve posted that link before, but really, do watch it if you haven’t).
Then today, I saw this. Disillusioned. That’s what I am. These kids need healthy options!!!
Thanks for hearing my rant. :)
2 comments:
I had the same problem last year. My kids would come home telling me that they had rainbow chocolate chip cookies for snack. Hello, whose choice is that? All the kids took turns bring in snacks, and the clincher is that the note said, "We prefer healthy snacks, such as graham crackers, cereal, or crackers" Those are not healthy snacks people. Have you ever heard of fruit? It makes me crazy too.
No, chocolate milk isn't healthy. But in the spectrum of "snack" choices, let's rejoice that it's chocolate milk instead of Kool-Aid. :) I'm practicing my school-food optimism.
Post a Comment