Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eat Soup

Did you think I forgot about the chicken soup? It was on "my list." This list includes so many unfinshed and half-done projects that it's embarrasing. But, since it is still freezing and I did finally get around to typing them up, here is, not only Chicken Soup, but also 3 Bean Chili. And, no, I didn't forget the meat. It is vegetarian, but it is also good! It took lots and lots of bad vegetarian chili attempts (I think chili is one of those foods that really isn't meant to go meatless) and one helpful friend (thanks, Emily!) until I found this recipe. It really is great, so give it a try. Here's to hoping our soup eating weather is almost over!

Chicken Noodle Soup

2 T butter
4 chicken breast, dried and cut into pieces
12 cups chicken stock
4 celery stalks, sliced
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, diced
½ tsp, or more, salt
Ground black pepper to taste
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp dried parsley (if using fresh, use 2 T chopped and add at very end, just a minute before serving.)
1 tbsp Herbs de Provence (can substitute Italian herbs)
1 ½ cups, or more, dry pasta (this measurement is for farfalle, fusilli or rotini shape and size. If using elbow macaroni, use about 1 cup.)

The secret to this recipe is to brown the chicken very quickly and deeply, leaving a nice caramelization on the bottom of the pan. When you add the stock, this carmelization becomes part of the broth and makes it very yummy. In order for this to succeed, you MUST have dry chicken. So, grab your roll of paper towels and your bleach spray to clean up afterwards.

In large dutch oven or pot (if you have a Le Creuset or any other type of porcelain enamel cast iron, this is ideal) melt the butter quickly over medium heat. Be careful not to let it brown yet or it will taste burned. Turn the heat up to high and add your chicken pieces. Allow chicken to brown, stirring occasionally, but not too much. Letting the chicken sit in the same spot for a minute or two will allow that deep caramelization to form. If you have lots of juices in the bottom of the pan, hold off stirring for a minute or two till they evaporate and the chicken begins to brown.

Add stock, whisking to remove caramelization and incorporate into broth. Add celery, carrots, onion and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are nearly done (15 minutes or so). Add remaining ingredients and simmer for another 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. As soon as pasta is cooked through, taste for seasoning and serve.


3 Bean Chili

2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
½ to 1 Tbsp chili powder (I use ½ tbsp, but use more if you like it spicy)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 14 ½ oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup canned great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth (I sometimes use chicken if it’s what I’ve got around)
1 medium yam, peeled and grated
½ tsp salt


Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and green pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, then stir in chili powder and cumin. Cook another 20 seconds, until aromatic. Add tomatoes, broth and beans and bring to a simmer. Add grated yam, cover and reduce heat to low and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, until thickened and all parts cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Stir in salt and serve. We garnish with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese. Serves 6.

5 comments:

thejohnmfamily said...

I like the idea of browning the chicken. I'm going to try that. And, the funniest thing, my chili recipe is exactly the same, except for we add 1 T. brown sugar, a little oregano, and some tomato sauce, and we haven't used a yam. I am going to try that.

The MontaƱo’s said...

Thanks for the recipes. I had forgotten I'd even asked for it!

Chantel said...

They both look GREAT!

Heather said...

I will definitely have to try your recipes; I've never seen you make anything less than delicious. We all love chicken soup -and I love to freeze it in bulk. Anyway, we finally (3 days turned into 11, don't ask me how) made it back home. We're healthy too, so if Hadden and Calla want to come play, give us a call.

Ken and Em Sim Family said...

I love, love, love both of these soups!