Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Summer Might Actually Come!

Please, brace yourselves, because we actually went outside today without down coats and snowsuits!!!! I know this is shocking, but let me tell you it was fabulous! I am getting the gardening bug and have to keep reminding myself that if I plant tender plants now, they will surely die. So, we planed peas, spinach and beets and are waiting till mid-April for the rest. Here's a few pictures of the kids lately:


Reading books with Grandpa

Cowgirl Calla

Play-Doh, oh how i hate thee. For some reason, I was out of my mind the last time we made it to Target, maybe because when I'm there I have to buy things to make up for not having a Target close by, I don't know. I bought this Play-Doh ice cream parlor set. It lives on the top shelf of the pantry and doesn't come down unless I'm feeling very nice and the floor is looking like it needs to be mopped. But the kids absolutely adore it and it does occupy them for a long time, so maybe I should let it out of jail more often.

The kids watching conference on the laptop, next to the TV, which isn't actually on because we dont' have TV reception. We do this fun snack activity for the kids, which seems to work well. It doesn't, however work for kids who aren't generally foodies, but my kids didn't seem to mind 8 hours of weekend snacking.
Here is the snack table. Each bowl is assigned a word, which I also print a picture for, like "Jesus," "temple," "prophet," "tithing," etc. Every time the kids hear one of the speakers say one of the words, they get to pick a snack out of that bowl. Hadden ate himself sick on chocolate covered peanuts during Elder Bednar's talk on temples.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

J and T said...

What a creative conference idea! I love it! Maybe Katelyn will almost be old enough to try it in the fall.

Also, Mrs. Gardner, where did you plant you peas? Do you plant them along a fence or do you use some contraption to let them climb? Am I too late to plant peas now? I need help! Please help.

Tara

The Montaño’s said...

You are awesome. I thought summer was coming, we have had two great days of outside fun, and today it's raining and may snow.... Summer will never come, I need to just accept it! :) Love your conference snack idea. Look at you!

Julie and John said...

You crack me up. I'm glad Hadden enjoyed Elder Bednar's talk so much.

Jen said...

I know what you mean about play doh. There are several toys I keep hidden. Also love the great idea for getting kids to listen to conference. You are so creative.

Chantel said...

That is a great conference idea. I might try that just for me :) Morgan came home from preschool one day and said "you lied to me, you CAN play with play doh in the house!" I hate it too.

The Montaño’s said...

Hey English major, have you had any good reads lately? I need something for my bookclub... any suggestions?!?!

Ken and Em Sim Family said...

Play-Doh was created by a DAD who never had to actually clean it up. Or, maybe it was created by a grandmother who wanted to give it as gifts but never have any in her own home. Or, maybe I'm just a Play-Doh scrooge. :)